Sunday, June 19, 2011

Tennessee 1: Recap

So much happened this week, I'm not sure where to start, what to cover, etc. But let me try.

We got through it with out many glitches at all! I felt a little flustered the first couple days, with registration, getting everything rolling, and tournaments, but everything got done and done fairly well, not just by myself but everyone on our team. I kinda wish I had more energy and memory to go into detail about each day, but I don't. Sorry. But that would result in a long post. So you're welcome. I'll breeze over some stuff day by day, if you'd care to join me.

Monday was registration and our first session. For the most part, registration was painless and I got to hang out with some youth, pastors, and leaders. My favorite part of the day was getting to pray for these. I mean, it was simple and kinda short but amazing. Our God is powerful, and he listens to our prayers, so knowing I was doing the most I could for them was great.

Tuesday was, obviously, our first full day. We had our morning session, small group times, the prayer room was open for the first time, a basketball tourney, and evening session. I got to run the tourney with some Bible College reps and JB and I set up the prayer room. Overall, a busy but fun day.

Wednesday we continued that schedule, trading basketball for volleyball. Again, fun had by all and I continued to feel God make his presence known to the students. It is an awesome feeling to know I'm part of something bigger here, and although what I'm doing just helps the production of it all, it lets everyone else not worry about that and reflect on the Father.

Thursday was similar, but we cut out lunch, a tourney, and made free time a whole lot longer. The money CIY would have spent on lunch for students went to CICM (http://www.indiamission.org/) and groups were asked to find meals off campus. We went to a little waterfall in the mountains near by. It was small, but beautiful and fun. Followed by coffee at a local roaster, The Coffee Company. MOVE finished up that day showing the film Love Costs Every Thing.

Friday was our last day and was very similar to Tuesday and Wednesday, but with dodgeball. It was fun to see the students' excitement all week long and it only grew. That night we handed out Kingdom Worker cards, which contain a challenge to do something for God's Kingdom. We had a deal with Milligan to use their pool for baptisms and I received a couple texts asking to make sure that was open. It warmed my heart to know students were taking this step.

This week, I would like to acknowledge a couple people I met. Please take time to read about my encounters with them and pray for them.

J.R.
I met this guy the last day of the conference. He had just finished running three miles and spent most of the time talking about sports. I made a joke about "the ladies" and he started telling me about how his mother taught him how to be a gentleman, opening doors, cooking, cleaning, and waiting on the women in his life. He proceeded to tell me his mother had past away during heart surgery. He said it with a smile though, because he knew he was honoring her and that he would see her again one day in God's Kingdom. He quoted scripture to me and showed a spiritual maturity I did not expect from a Junior in high school who fit in the standard jock stereotype on the outside. At the end of the week, he stood to acknowledge the decision he made this week to pursue full time ministry.

Jordan and Theresa
These are a couple folks I met the first day of MOVE. We were talking about where they were from, how many students the brought, etc. Turns out neither of them were the youth pastor. He resigned a month before they left. But Jordan and Theresa are teachers and have the summer off, so they brought the students. I praise God for their willingness to come and for placing the students in their care.

Tomorrow, we turn it around and do it again. Keep praying for high schoolers across the country and for all working for CIY's strength and perseverance. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment