Monday, October 13, 2014

In Light of the Trees

I don't own much gold but I've seen a field, a forest of it.
It isn't mine but it's as if it's been given to me
so I might feel rich enough that I will not covet.
But you know that I do, in light of the trees.

The dresses of the fields, as they prepare to wed,
the birds of the air, as they look for food and feast,
confused by man, as he sleeps and complains of his bed.
For we are covetous, not thankful in the least.

But we mustn't forget who gave us all our wealth
or Jealousy and Desire will lead us to our death,
for they are wicked mistresses. But they don't need stealth;
One grabs my hand, one my filthy heart, saying "we know best."

No. I will find wealth in riches that were never mine.
I'll find shame in my money, disgrace in my stock.
When I sleep and I am examined, may the Lord find
in my vault, my heart: the Savior, the Lamb, Eternal Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment